Monday 2 April 2018

Mr Iyengar's talk about Yoga and the Elements

Now it's Spring and Summertime and time to spring clean after such a bitterly cold Winter. So, as well as spring cleaning my house and getting the chi-energy to vibrantly flow throughout my home, I decided to do a body cleanse and get the prana-energy to freely flow throughout my body.  Consequently, I started an online detox course based on Ayurveda* with The Chopra Centre run by Deepak Chopra and Dr Sheila Patel. This course has been a pure delight which has helped me improve my diet and gain more energy and knowledge of this ancient Life Science. 



The first session covered the principles of Ayurveda involving the five elements and I was amazed to be reminded of similar information I received back in 1984 when we filmed an interview with the late Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar in his ashram in Pune, India.  At that time, I didn’t understand the connection between the body and the five elements and had no idea Mr Iyengar was introducing me to Ayurveda.



I found the film in my archives, edited the relevant section into a 10-minute video with a snippet of his medical yoga class and an interview, along with the transcription, that I am pleased to share memories of this dynamic world-famous man with you.

* Ayurveda is a science of Life. It is ancient wisdom that continues to be one of the world’s most sophisticated and powerful mind-body health systems.

Maria Gunstone, YOU & ME Yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment