Tuesday 25 September 2012

Yoga on the Train

The other night I was sitting on the train reading my notes when a middle aged man sat next to me. After a while, he asked me what I was reading. I told him it was notes from a lecture I’d attended at British Library on blogging.

He cringed saying, “Oh I don’t like the computer, it’s all beyond me. Those of us older ones haven’t got a clue. Youths today know it all. I don’t stand a chance, they’re all better and clever than I’ll ever be.”

I agreed youngsters have a head start with IT from a very young age, but they don’t have the wisdom we gain over the years. “So what do you mean by wisdom he asked.” I explained regardless of whose right or wrong the main thing is getting along with one another in the best way possible is the art and wisdom of Life. To my surprise he quickly grasped my meaning respectfully.

He went on to ask what I do for a living. I told him I am a yoga teacher and author of several books on yoga for special needs. After a few more personal questions about why yoga, he then asked me to give him a freebie of some yoga. I immediately took the opportunity to show him how to do diaphragmatic breathing and the alternate nostril breathing. I’m pleased to say he loved it and said he would definitely practice it again.


It was such good timing as we were pulling into my station, so I bide him farewell and wished him well with his yoga practice. I felt such a sense of purpose and joy to have shared yoga on a busy train with this stranger. If only we were able to do yoga together with other passengers it would make our journey in life much more enjoyable. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment